Laser Periodontal Therapy: Patient FAQs

The many innovations and evolutions of dental care over the years have yielded impressive insight into how to best treat gum disease. Laser treatment is used in a multitude of ways in modern dental treatment; it is safe, effective, ad oftentimes less intrusive than other treatment methods. Laser periodontal treatment is no different.

How effective is laser periodontal therapy?

Laser periodontal therapy for gum disease is considered to be highly effective. Essentially, the diseased soft tissue is removed through therapy so new tissue can grow and the gums can properly heal. Some of the benefits of this form of treatment over the typical procedure of scaling and root planing include:

  • The laser is more capable of pinpointing small areas of tissue
  • The tissue can be immediately coagulated to encourage faster healing
  • The patient may not feel as much discomfort during and after the procedure

Does laser periodontal therapy hurt?

One of the bigger advantages of laser therapy for gum disease is the fact that it is not such a lengthy procedure. Normally, scaling and root planing can take several visits to complete because the dentist has to carefully work on the tissue just at the gumline. Laser therapy can be generally painless for the patient. Some patients will not even need to be injected with localized anesthetic.

How long will it take to heal after treatment?

You should start to heal relatively quickly after the procedure. The laser does not cause as much trauma to the gum tissue, which means less swelling and inflammation. Less inflammation can mean faster healing times overall.

An Albany Biologic Dentist Can Help with Laser Periodontal Therapy

Biologic dentists take the most innovative approaches to some of the most common oral health concerns. If you are interested in laser treatment for periodontal issues, reach out to us at Dental Wellness of Albany, NY to schedule a consultation.

Should I Have Mercury Fillings Removed?

If you are like many people today, you probably have at least one silver tooth filling in your mouth. Known as an amalgam filling, it contains silver and other things, including mercury. In fact, it is estimated 120 million people in the U.S. have filling containing mercury. Due to the many health concerns associated with mercury, more and more people are starting to wonder if they need to get these fillings replaced with safer options. If this sounds like you, here are some things to consider when making your decision.

How Much Mercury is in My Filling?

In most cases, a typical silver filling will contain up to 50 percent of inorganic mercury. While any amount above 0 parts is technically considered a toxic level, it is important to remember that silver fillings with mercury have been used for well over 100 years, with few if any problems concerning mercury poisoning occurring.

Can the Fillings be Removed?

Yes. However, by doing so, you actually put yourself at greater risk of mercury exposure. When the fillings are removed, a dentist has to drill directly into the filling until it breaks apart, which can result in more mercury actually entering your body. If they are removed, it should be done only by a dentist who is certified in the process and has the specialized equipment needed for the procedure.

What Alternative Fillings are Available?

If you do remove your mercury fillings, they are most often replaced with composite resin, since this most closely matches the natural look of a tooth and is also very affordable for most patients.

If you have fillings you believe contain mercury and are concerned, you can always speak to a dentist about whether having them removed and replaced is necessary. To do so, schedule a consultation today.